07 January, 2009

On Wisconsin!

A few months ago, I discovered Bon Iver (franglish alias/band name for the work of Justin Vernon). He's from Eau Claire, which is always a plus AND explains the name. Wikipedia says the choice was inspired by Northern Exposure - how much more down-home midwestern can you get?

Anyway, I had a conversation about him today with a friend and afterward listened through his album 'For Emma, Forever Ago.' I realized that I could almost never understand what the hell he was saying (you get caught up in the melodies though), so I looked up his lyrics. Apparently, he's one of those artists where even when you read the lyrics you still have no idea what they mean.

"Only love is all maroon
Gluey feathers on a flume
Sky is womb and she's the moon"
Wonderful!

Hum along to one of my favorites, Skinny Love, or check out several on hypem.

3 comments:

spencer said...

I saw Bon Iver open for Black Mountain and he/they (he had some backup guys) was/were amazing. Although Black Mountain was also pretty rockin'. Highly recommended.

higgy said...

Something about the combination of his trebly vocals and the melodies he creates turns me off. I just can't latch onto it sober. I've tried, but I tend to find it more irritating than anything else. I have a similar reaction (for similar reasons) to Animal Collective.

But like AC, after a few whiskeys I can really get into it. In my current state (as I right this) Skinny Love sounds pretty good. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that a Wisconsinite sounds best in an intoxicated state.

Eremita said...

Check out Bon Iver on NPR, there is audio and video of live performances.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story
/story.php?storyId=88161899