03 September, 2008

What Republicans say when they're at home

They've been putting on a brave front, but the smart ones at least are faking. Here is the transcript of a mistakenly-recorded conversation between Peggy Noonan, former Reagan speechwriter, Mike Murphy, former McCain campaign director, and journalist Chuck Todd:

Peggy Noonan: Yeah.

Mike Murphy: You know, because I come out of the blue swing state governor world: Engler, Whitman, Tommy Thompson, Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush. I mean, these guys -- this is how you win a Texas race, just run it up. And it's not gonna work. And --

PN: It's over.

MM: Still McCain can give a version of the Lieberman speech to do himself some good.

CT: I also think the Palin pick is insulting to Kay Bailey Hutchinson, too.

PN: Saw Kay this morning.

CT: Yeah, she's never looked comfortable about this --

MM: They're all bummed out.

CT: Yeah, I mean is she really the most qualified woman they could have turned to?

PN: The most qualified? No! I think they went for this -- excuse me-- political bullshit about narratives --

CT: Yeah they went to a narrative.

MM: I totally agree.

PN: Every time the Republicans do that, because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at, they blow it.

MM: You know what's really the worst thing about it? The greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and this is cynical.

CT: This is cynical, and as you called it, gimmicky.

MM: Yeah.


This is basically my (and I think much of the Left's) take on the whole thing: that Palin is a tone-deaf disaster, that there were many more qualified women, and that McCain's decision making process will come to be seen (if it isn't yet) as myopic and cynical.

1 comment:

spencer said...

As anecdotal evidence to this end, my relatives who had been wary about supporting Obama have now been fully pushed into his camp by the Palin pick. They simply couldn't believe that McCain would make such a rash decisions.