02 June, 2008

You should all love this...

I've been enamored of late with a curious little grain from the Southern hemisphere.

It's not a true cereal grain, so I wonder if I'll be able to make beer out of it, but who knows...

At any rate, the little guy is just so darn scrumptious I had to let you all in on the secret. I stumbled across a recipe whilst staring at my gmail inbox, and said to myself, "self, what the heck could that be?"

The answer, as it happens, is delicious. Quinoa (Keen-wa) is a small goosefoot seed grown extensively in the Andes. Elliot, I'm sure you came across this before, and shame on you for not sharing in the bounty sooner! As a food, it's easy to prepare, delicious on it's own or with various accoutrement. Think of it like super-oatmeal. Firmer texture as well, the grain holds up through the boiling process much better.

It has a soft, nutty flavor that I can only describe as warm. It just makes me feel snuggly to eat it. The recipe that I've been following (and that I enjoy even as I type) is so simple, it begs you to try it right now, no matter what timezone you're in!

This is how I do it:

1/4 c. quinoa (red or white, I've only seen white in LaX)
approx. 1/4 c. mixed milk and water. (first time used soy milk, since then skim--either works)
--also used a little more than 1/4 c. just because, didn't hurt anything

combine both, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes covered, until almost all liquid is gone. Once that is ready, sprinkle with ground cinnamon to taste, sweeten with agave nectar to taste (or dark honey), and add a small handful of blackberries (raspberries ok, not quite as good in my opinion).

Delicious, you ask? Indubitably. Is it really that simple, you ponder? Absolutely. Where can I find some, you query? I was surprised to find the stuff at Quillin's and Festival, as well as the Co-op, so I'm sure my big city compadres won't have trouble tracking it down at the whole foods store. This little snack is good for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or an anytime snack that is also really damn good for you! High in magnesium, iron, phosphorus, and dietary fiber. Unusually well packed with essential amino acids, gluten free, and easy on the digestive tract. Me gusta mucho!

Go get yours today!

5 comments:

spencer said...

Wow, that sounds delicious! I've had quinoa at my former college dining hall where they mix it with edamame, corn, tomatoes, and other diced vegetables. But I never even thought it could be turned into a breakfast food!

Here's to more recipes on debaser.

Guadalupe said...

I've had Cassady's berry delight version, but I haven't thought to pair it with veggies.

Good addition, Spence.

Elliot said...

I've heard of it, but I don't believe I actually ever had it. I'll def look into it (although, ironically, the supermarkets in this "big city" are not nearly as good as Quillins...)

Cassady said...

Oh baby--trying this tonight!

Make it in a quinoa salad, cooked with water, apple juice, and cinnamon, refrigerated, then mixed with some diced apples, craisins, walnuts, celery, and fold with a cup of plain (vanilla?) yogurt.

I feel like the beauty of quinoa rests with the ability to cook it with different liquids to impart various flavors and textures. Money!

spencer said...

I bet it would be good cooked in chicken stock, then, as I've taken to cooking rice and couscous with stock, raisins, and slivered almonds.