02 June, 2008

Probably old hat, but...

Hey all, I'm sure some of my more in-tune friends will already know about this, but I thought I'd share all the same.

(Hopefully the in-tune joke will come full circle momentarily since I'm writing about music! ;-) )

Pandora is sweet. It's free music all the time, albeit without the option to directly choose each song. You start by choosing a song or artist you like, then the site examines the musical qualities of that choice and plays other songs and artists based on those qualities.

It can be hit or miss, but largely effective if I'm in the mood for, say, John Brown's Body or Earth Wind and Fire, and would like to hear more of that style. Also, you can tell Pandora that you like or don't like something, and it'll move on and adapt as it learns your preferences. Pretty sweet deal, you might say.

3 comments:

Eremita said...

When I discovered Pandora in college, Higgy admitted to SECRETLY using it without telling us to pick up on new artists. The unmasking of the music Nazi continues, muuahahahah!

Guadalupe said...

3 things:

1) Is the "in-tune" comment really a joke?

2) should a good joke need an explanation?

3) don't be mad Cassady, I love you...despite your "jokes" and use of "smileys" ; )

higgy said...

Yes, it's true. I've been using it since 2005 to feed my new-music-elitist-appetite. I haven't listened to it for a while, since I've been pretty satisfied with my current music library lately - but your mention of it has renewed my interest!