03 December, 2007

Wow. Just wow.

From the Clinton campaign:

In Boston this evening, Senator Obama said: "I'm not running to fulfill some long held plans or because I think it's open to me."....But that's not what Senator Obama's teachers, family, classmates or staff say:

In third grade, Senator Obama wrote an essay titled 'I Want To Be a President.' His third grade teacher: Fermina Katarina Sinaga "asked her class to write an essay titled 'My dream: What I want to be in the future.' Senator Obama wrote 'I want to be a President,' she said." [The Los Angeles Times, 3/15/07]

In kindergarten, Senator Obama wrote an essay titled 'I Want to Become President.’ "Iis Darmawan, 63, Senator Obama's kindergarten teacher, remembers him as an exceptionally tall and curly haired child who quickly picked up the local language and had sharp math skills. He wrote an essay titled, 'I Want To Become President,' the teacher said." [AP, 1/25/07 ]

2 comments:

Elliot said...

Is this real, or did Colbert somehow get on Clinton's staff?

This seems to echo your comment, spencer, that if the democratic campaign were primarily about character, Obama would be doing much better. I would have thought Clinton would be smarter than to go out of her way to make it about character. She will lose that battle, and sound silly doing it.

spencer said...

Yes, she will lose that battle. In the most recent issue of The Economist, voters were polled on what qualities they associated the various candidates. Hillary and Giuliani were both lowest for "moral" and "honest" (though highest for "intelligent" and "competent"), while it was the reverse for Obama and Huckabee.